MTC is serving in the New York Utica mission from June 2010 to June 2012. We hope to keep you updated with his latest letters, pictures and more.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Missionary work certainly is work



Hola family!

I seriously love hearing from all of you so much! It is great to hear that things are moving along quite well for everyone wherever you may be. It's really hard to keep track of all the things you ask and everything but I'm trying my best. I eat random, anything around the apartment - pretty normal, generic stuff that would be at our house. I haven't really manned up and cooked yet, but I'm perfectly ok with that at this point. We are fed by members pretty frequently - since I've been here typically 3ish nights a week. They feed us well, and they say they're slacking and can feed us more too, ha! Fresh vegetables from their gardens and stuff it's really neat. I'm learning about country and farmness out here it's such a different lifestyle to what I grew up with. I do a lot of stretching (my hips) in the morning, sit ups, push ups, jumping jacks, sometimes we go out and run. And I received a short sleeve shirt from Pomeroy's. Ha, so if you didn't order it I don't know what's up with that but I needed it so thanks however that worked out ha. Congratulations to Papa and Bob for Tuhaye! That is so great I'm happy for you! And thank you Papa and Nana for the very nice card. I haven't got the Spencer Jones article; I am shocked and scared to read that. I hope and pray he will be alright. Let me know.

So cool for Colton Johnston to be home though! I can remember the day I said bye to him - and how I wouldn't see him for 4 years - and he's already back, that it absolutely crazy! P day is on TUESDAY next week because of Transfers! (meaning email then, etc!) Speaking of which, Elder Miller caught wind of some likely changes with us from President so we'll see, I have no idea what is going to happen! Stay or go. I didn't realize we are the youngest companionship in the mission; ha pretty humorous in my opinion ha. A huge percentage of the mission will be under a year in the next bit. I am sending a package home today with MTC stuff, memory card, and random other things: including a pillow case Sis Jensen sent from the Mia Maids, so nice be sure to thank them for me! I can't believe school starts in AZ soon. Who is Ste's teacher? By the way, awesome job swimming you are such a stud!

Return and Report was a great time to see my friends from the MTC! The trainers were there with us all day too (to answer a question). It was so sweet to get those cookies from the Lewis bakery! Thank you so much, they were awesome! It truly is surreal that can happen!

We are definitely blessed as set apart missionaries; and blessed in all aspects of life, to enable us to do things on our own we simply could not accomplish. Spiritual and teaching aside, even physically we are able to handle things we wouldn't otherwise be able to. It's hilarious I have had bags under my eyes the last few days but I've been able to do all the work without being too beat - although I should be down for the count. Missionary work certainly is work. There is a principle I realized this past week that is pretty cool. You hear people say "A mission was the hardest thing I've ever done." And I would think about that and just think they were just saying it or hadn't applied themselves in the past. So not true. On your mission you can - and need to - give your personal absolute best every day. You are constantly pushing yourself to do more, be better, etc. It's true, and therefore definitely hard to constantly be trying and working your best.

The baptism yesterday was awesome! We prepared well for it but yesterday was still craziness running all over during church getting it all set up! I got to conduct which was pretty cool. Autumn's brother Austin (17) baptized her! He had to do it twice like me and Ste! The Spirit was really strong. Pictures (memory card) and a program will be in the package. Sunday we're going to Albany to a fireside by President and Elder Warr playing piano because we got a ride with a progressing investigator, Lauren (and her less active husband). It's going to be so sweet, I am so excited! I know they did it in Ithaca last night, maybe the Lewis family went? But Lauren is so awesome, she knows the Book of Mormon is the word of God, came to church this Sunday, and we are planning on setting her with a baptismal date here soon! We're teaching, or excited to start teaching, some really awesome families! Families are the best to teach, it's amazing. We received a sweet compliment from our ward mission leader that we're teaching the most families he has seen in a long time and that is a reflection of our hard work, etc. The Spirit is able to guide us; I've had so many sweet experiences. I tracted a house two times in 5 minutes the other day, which was cool. Can go back this week sometime. We were asked to give two blessings yesterday. It's great here. Time is short.

Well I love you all so much and it's really great to keep hearing from you all! Keep it up! Know that I love you and you are in my prayers. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the answer to any problem, concern, or question in this life. It's true. I know it's true.

Love always,

Elder Christensen

PS. I've written in my journal everyday since I've been out (to answer your question)

No comments:

Post a Comment