MTC is serving in the New York Utica mission from June 2010 to June 2012. We hope to keep you updated with his latest letters, pictures and more.

Monday, July 12, 2010

"Religious Excitement"






Hey everyone!

It is so great to get to hear from everyone! As I am here and in an entirely different world essentially it is so crazy to think and hear how much is going on with all of you! I can't believe that about Dad; that is crazy! I sure am glad it happened (if it had to) and is totally resolved by the time you sent your emails! Sorry about that, truly, but as we remain faithful in tough times we only allow opportunities for ourselves to be blessed! It is crazy Paige has been there so long! Sounds like you all have enjoyed it, which is way fun! And Rachel, Tyler, and Jackson sound to be doing well too. It's funny how many people I've been able to relate to with Florida and my family there. Excited to see the pictures you sent! And thank you for getting another short sleeve shirt. It has been HOT. Today and yesterday were nice again but there were 2-3 days this past week that were a wee bit uncomfortable! I think it was a record one day - a member said it reached 101 (plus humidity). There is a Wals Marts here we can shop at. I say Wal(s) Mart(s) because although there isn't really an accent here, everyone puts an SSSSSS on everything! It is so humorous! I laugh out loud sometimes at the stuff people say.

It's great to get Ben's email sent here, thanks! We drive a fairly new Corolla and take turns yes. We are allowed GPS but they're not provided. Elder Miller has one, I'm thinking about buying one in the future- we'll see with transfers and things. I use the comforter, SO nice. And cool Ben is on Verizon, I hope my numbers didn't vanish away? ha. Oh and finally, it's awesome to see my name on the church program but change my address to my Mission Home one. Thanks!

Zone Conference was such a great time! Monday night E. Miller and I stayed the night with the Zone Leaders and the Assistants came as well! They're all so awesome, it was so much fun. Elder Warr, who I'm pretty cool with, and the new assistant is Elder Cook (who ate in Ithaca and answered the questions)! I met him when I first got my trainer and stuff and talked but he's so awesome and funny connections there! Zone Conference was a spiritual feast and a great way to get excited about the work. President Bulloch is so great! Then I went straight on exchange from there to Greenville. This was a great learning experience. The elder i was with is a good missionary but I kinda needed to be the leader in the companionship. It was good for me to experience that I can really take charge and do this. I met a great guy there named Johnathan who we taught and really had a powerful lesson with. We surprisingly got way close the short time i was there, we saw each other a couple times (longish story). It's sad I had to leave him but wish him the best and hope to hear he gets baptized. Back in Schoharie Valley, though, things have been going great still! We are official with Autumn getting baptized on the 25, which is so exciting! Kind of complicated situation but her mom is a recent convert and her new dad is a member. Such a sweet family. Going there for dinner tonight and a lesson! We have had to unfortunately drop several investigators which is hard but as we did so faithfully the Lord blessed us by helping us find others to teach. For example yesterday we were tracting in a village called Sharon Springs and we met and were invited in by an incredibly nice man originally from Russia. We talked for about 45 minutes and he is truly interested, has searched for truth his whole life, is close with God, is very very intelligent and has tried figuring, researching, and reasoning things out for himself. He does scientific research, or did. I heard the words in my head while we were talking with him "He is going to be baptized" which was really cool - hopefully coming from the source I believe it came from. Another interesting thing is the other day I saw Jehovah's Witness missionaries out tracting right along our road. Satan really tried to work on me with this and to have me second guess to reality divinity and truthfulness of what I am doing. Just to think I am just another out doing what they're doing. But after some pondering and consideration I got over it and reminded myself that this is the Lord's true work and kingdom on the earth. It was a good experience.

There is "religious excitement" here in upstate New York still it seems as there was in Joseph's time. We have had the opportunity to use our Priesthood for blessings 2 times this week which was cool. One of which a lady called us randomly for one, then came to church this week. We'll see how things go with her, I am unsure at this point (seeing her in past teaching records what people have said). But I love it here in New York and love this work that I am so blessed to have the opportunity to be a part of. I am certainly now more comfortable here and am able to flap my wings and fly a little bit more and more each day. It is certainly a process, but I know I can become the missionary, and person, the Lord wants me to be and knows that I can be.

I love you all so much and love hearing from you! Thank you all! Truly!

Love always,

Elder Christensen



No comments:

Post a Comment