MTC is serving in the New York Utica mission from June 2010 to June 2012. We hope to keep you updated with his latest letters, pictures and more.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A visit to Albany

Hello!

It's so great to hear from all of you! I am incredibly limited in my time today so I'll try to get the most bang for my buck. We are starting the Transfer Planning which involves making plans for the upcoming transfer with regards to companionships, trainings, and things of the sort. Also we have been helping the mission vehicle coordinator with getting new cars and driving them off the lot, ha. That's crazy about Paige being right there at Panera when I was going past. In response to her question about Zone Conference lunch - if she wants to that'd be cool (President doesn't have a problem with it). I don't feel particularly strongly about it one way or the other. I think it'd be way fun. My only reservations are with all the other missionaries around I don't know 1) how much we would be able to really interact/talk, etc and 2) if they'd feel like it's 'unfair' or something. We could perhaps have dinner or something of the sort surrounding the Zone Conference if you think it'd be good? Let me know your thoughts. The vacation options sound good, I read through them very quickly so I need to look over them and think about it and get back to you. (Don't feel bad about writing about that stuff; it's helpful). About the vacation options what makes the most sense all things considered in your guys' minds?? I think that's a great idea to call BYU and find out information about registering and all that and about what requirements I need/etc.. Particularly that last part so that I can know what to take at MCC this summer - if you wouldn't mind looking into that as well :). Keep me posted and let me know. I don't have any needs as far as the incoming package is concerned. I'm not in pressing need of them but you could put more contacts in there if you wish.
This week has been really fun. Going back to Albany was a blast. A lot has happened there since I left. I had an incredibly neat experience there this week and another particularly saddening one. The sad one was visiting the Flanders. They haven't been coming to church for the past couple months and aren't doing too well in the Gospel. Basically they're done with the church as it stands now; it was quite sad. Our conversation about it was rather upright and frank but there was not persuading/teaching them that would sway them at this point. On a more positive note, Tuesday night was great. I got to teach Namukolo and she is doing really well and planning on going to do baptisms for the dead very soon! Even more notably afterward we stopped by an elderly German woman who I taught and helped become active again in the church. She happened to have gone to the temple for the first time to receive her endowment that very day. When I was there we talked about the goal of the temple a lot and it was just an amazing experience how it all panned out that I was there and saw her the day she went! She felt prompted to finish a scarf she was making for me (which is pretty sweet) the night before even though she didn't know why. She then was able to give it to me in person rather than mail it as intended. Really cool. Return and Report was a really fun time; it's cool to be around the new missionaries and see their growth. The trainings all went well. The work really is going great here in Utica. Sunday was amazing. Gail came to church and loved it again. She enjoyed the lesson on the sabbath day in gospel principles; she felt she had missed the mark before and was getting too caught up in the do's and don'ts of it all rather than the principle of setting the day aside to remember and worship the Lord. She felt edified. We also had another investigator, James, come to church. He participated a lot and had an uplifting time. We already have 19 appointments set this week, amidst the additional trainings and transfer planning we have going on this week. Elder Miller is going to Palmyra tomorrow and I'll be working here with Elder Butler. Things are great and I'm very happy.
I love you all so much and appreciate all that you do for me.

Love,
Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment