MTC is serving in the New York Utica mission from June 2010 to June 2012. We hope to keep you updated with his latest letters, pictures and more.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A week of reflecting and pondering


Dear everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well today. You're definitely right when you say that my week has been pretty bizarre, emotional, different, you name it. My thoughts are pretty scatterbrained as well so I'm not sure what exactly is going to come out. The experience last week emailing was pretty crazy, sitting by the lady who was baptized a few years ago. With countless experiences like this I absolutely know that the Lord's hand is involved in our lives. We didn't end up playing golf last week and we were going to go today but it has been raining all day, ha. Thanks so much for sending the reinforcements to help in replacing those keys that were lost. I really appreciate it and it helps greatly because they have to re-key our deadbolt lock which isn't too cheap. Thanks for the information about Granddad's profession and such. Well, I'm glad to hear that Papa and the "Mormons" won the golf match! How big was the branch that Ste went to this weekend? That's awesome he bore his testimony there!

Like I mentioned before, my thoughts are all over with the events of the week. I had no idea about the flooding in Schoharie and all of that. Wow. I hope everyone is doing well there. Very interesting that you found Sis. Dutcher's facebook page and that it mentioned the flooding and things. So, on Wednesday morning we got a call from the Assistants about the tragedy of Sister Bentley and Sister Love. What a complete shock that was to hear just before 8 o'clock in the morning on what seemed like it would be an ordinary day. I/we don't really know too much about the accident; we were told very little. I'm sure you know more than we do in reading articles about it all. In trying to reflect positively on the events of the week, I have definitely felt an added sense of appreciation for my life and my being here. Being reminded of the frailty of life, although the reminder unfortunately had to come this way, is an important perspective I've been able to gain. I really appreciate this reality check. How great I have it to be where I am. I'll never forget a fortune cookie that Elder Potter got, it said: Happiness isn't in having what you want, but in wanting what you have. How true this is - and the sad event from this week helps remind me of this true principle. This week has been good and filled with a lot of reflecting and pondering. We're continuing to work hard here to progress the work and to find more people to teach. There are some really great people here in Rome. Currently Elder Farrens and I are in the mission office (library is closed for the holiday) and Elder Miller and Elder Kunzler are here and President and the office couple so it's a little difficult to write a focused email. Sorry about that.

Just know that I'm doing well and happy to be here. Elder Farrens and I are having a really good time together, too, which is a blast. Thank you all so much for your love and support. I love you all so much and am so grateful for all that you do.

Love,
Elder Christensen


Summer 2010 - Schoharie District
Sister Vanessa Bentley (in the white blouse)
Died on Aug. 30, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment